A Book Review is an opinion of a reader about a particular book based on the content, style and the story line.
Do you know How to write a book review? If your answer is no, then you need not to worry. In this article, I am going to explain all the necessary points that one should keep in mind before writing a good book review.
Before we jump onto our main topic i.e. ‘Book Review Writing’, let’s have a look at one of the Statements by a famous Author about a Book Review.
“You can kill a book quicker by your silence than by a bad review.”
― E.A. Bucchianeri
Steps to Writing a Book Review
- Find a Book: Before you Start writing a review of the book, first you must buy a book. For that, you can opt for the online shopping via Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Flipkart. OR you can also go to the nearby library and borrow a book. Once you are done getting a book, there you go, let’s head towards the next step for writing book reviews.
- Read the Book: Actually, It is a very important step to write a good book review, Read book YOURSELF. A Good Book Review is the analyzation of the content, style and Story line. To review a book, it is very much important to read every single page of it. Go through every line, every word and try to capture everything that an author wants to convey. Make your own opinion about the entire story. Never miss a word, it could lead to a different perspective. Do not browse the Internet to find out the Story line.
- Take Notes: While reading through the book don’t forget to take the notes of the things that need to be a highlight on the Book Review. It is considered as a positive approach to remember the key points of the book plots, it will help you a lot in structuring your review for the book.
- Review Notes: Now that you are already done reading the book and taking the notes out of it, it’s time to review your notes and shape them into a Good Book Review. Editing your notes is very important to write a good book review. Make sure you do not choose offensive words, write everything as a suggestion.
- Form an Opinion: Alright, you are almost done, now you have the outline book summary. The only thing now you have to do is to form an opinion. You have to focus on few of the Questions from the reader’s point of view before writing your Book Review.
Questions to Look for as you write a Book Review:
Question 1: From what point of view is the book written?
Question 2: Is the summary of the Book Convincing to you?
Question 3: Do you agree with the Story LIne up of the Book?
Question 4: What is the Author’s Style of writing? What is the Suitable Audience for the Book?
Things to keep in mind When Writing a Book Review
- Don’t be intimidated by famous Authors, give your honest Book Review.
- Always write a book review after reading a complete book.
- To show your perspective in a Book Review, allow time before revising.
- Summarize the Story at the end of the Book Review.
Wanna have a look how a good book review looks like? Check some professional book reviews here.
I hope this article has provided the enough information on the subject of How to write a Book Review. If you have any question and suggestion to share, please do comment. I will be more than happy to answer. 🙂